Location of the three landing sites on Chatham... From left to right, Point Waikato flying boat base, the current Tuuta Airport and Hapupu airstrip which was used by the RNZAF and Safe Air's Bristol Freighters and Tasman Air's Piper Navajo.
|The first aircraft to visit the Chatham Islands, was TEAL's Short S30 Empire flying boat ZK-AMA Aotearoa while on a patrol for the RNZAF|
|Airmail to and from the Chathams... the 29th of October outbound and backstamped for the return flight for the following day.|
|Launch taking cargo and mail for the Chatham Islands out to RNZAF Sunderland NZ4112 anchored in Wellington's Evans Bay in 1959 - Photo : Archives NZ, Reference AAME 8106 114/ 11/8/61|
| RNZAF Sunderland NZ4112 on departure for the Chathams from Wellington's Evans Bay in 1959|
Both Photos : Archives NZ, Reference AAME 8106 114/ 11/8/61
|Various views of the rather sad and grounded Sunderland NZ4111|
|Sunderland NZ4111 after the salvage of the engines|
Both photos : Archives Reference: AIR 1 807 36/49/9
RNZAF Douglas Dakota NZ3553 at Hapupu airstrip after the grounding of the Sunderland
On the 3rd of May the 1967 a familiarisation flight was made to the Chathams by a Bristol Freighter of No. 3 Battlefield Support Squadron. Then, on the 10th of May 1967 NZ5907 flew the first RNZAF Bristol Freighter service to the Chathams carrying a full load of 18 passengers each way. The NZ Official Yearbooks record that over the next two years the RNZAF Bristol Freighters operated 30 flights each year to the Chatham Islands.
For links to other air services to the Chathams see...